Parkinson's disease or shaking palsy is a chronic progressing disease of the brain. Parkinson's disease is one of the most common diseases of the central nervous system.
Important issues at the care of patients with Parkinson's disease
- Psychological support, patient and gentle treatment of sick persons
- Ensuring of patients’ safety
- Maintenance of physical activity through therapeutic physical training
- Feasible physical activity
- Maintenance of labour activity and social contacts
- Patients should not be rushed and upset. Tremor and other symptoms of the disease are strengthen if a person is anxious or in a hurry to perform any movement.
- Control over regularity of physiological functions: intestinal habits and urinations
- It is recommended morning medication in bed before patients’ getting up
- Help at getting up in the morning (stiffness, fatigue). It’s better to get up in two stages: first, to sit up in bed and relax, then – to stand up on feet
- Use of special devices for performance of simple actions in everyday life (special comb, razor, cutlery, etc.)
- When walking, it is necessary to remind patients that they should keep straight, swing arms, raise legs and lower feet on the floor, first on the heel and then step on the toe. Patients with Parkinson's disease have to make conscious efforts to do things that are obvious for other people.
- Offer frequent food acceptance in small portions. It is necessary to cut food into small pieces. Usually, people with Parkinson's disease lose weight because they get tired before they finish eating. Besides, they can be embarrassed because of a mess on the table or because they eat slowly and can lose interest to food.
- At a strong hand tremor one can use drinking through a straw or a heavier glass, half filled with liquid.
- It is necessary to support sick persons emotionally and to be especially patient with them when they do something themselves.
- Prophylaxis of constipation: plentiful drink and fibrous foods (fresh fruits and vegetables).
- Control over regular medicamental treatment (antiparkinsonian medicines).